This tutorial walks you through the process of setting up your first Subtheme using Genesis. Genesis is a starter theme for the Drupal content management system.
There are now 2 versions of Genesis, 6.x-1.2 and 6.x-2.x (which is the recommended version). Please note than all tutorials cover both versions so take note of which version you are using as there are some differences (not many). If this is your first time with Genesis please use 6.x-2.x as this is the latest version and comes with many enhancements and bug fixes.
## The basic steps
1. Copy/paste the included subtheme to your `sites/all/themes/` directory.
2. Rename the new **subtheme folder** and **.info** files to match.
3. Open the **.info** file and change your themes Name and Description. **For 6.x-1.2 users you must also rename the CSS file.**
4. Upload the new subtheme to your testing sever and enable it.
Be aware that the machine name (the name of the folder, CSS file and .info file) and "theme name" can be different, this can be a little bit confusing at first.
1. A text editor - in the video I am using Dreamweaver 8 in code edit mode.
2. Drupal 6 installed on your testing server. I use Wampserver on my localhost and have installed Drupal.
3. Genesis must be uploaded to the server as well, all subthemes require the core framework as a dependency.
Last updated 4th March, 2011 - 7:47am